Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damo .....Sant or Vagrant ?

Intellectual answer ( IMO ) :

Most depictions are from China or Japan , hence the round eyes and thick-coarse-curly hair-beard of The Indian to contrast with the slanted oriental eye and silky-straight hair of far easterners .

Shaolin answer ( IMO ) :

Tremendous internal force and presence of mind shine forth through the eyes .....hence wild-wide eyed .

High level elite non-mainstream Wise Sage ....the mainstream ignorant public will classify all eccentrics , whether pyschotic or Mystic , as crazy
    Damian Kissey
    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Thank you, my senior brothers, Markus and Dr. Damian for your posts.

I am enjoying the Zen Answers! And the intellectual answers, too.

My best,

Zach

Comment

Answer to question 7

Dear family and guests,

Here we go: Question and Grandmaster's answer 7.

Come back in a day or two to read number eight!

Grandmaster Wong in Standing Zen

Question 7:

"Sifu, would you say that the Bodhidharma’s arts have changed over time, or have they changed at all?"
        - Markus Kahila

Answer to Question 7:

"
        As in many other questions concerning chi kung, the answer can be yes and no.

In principle, Bodhidharma’s teaching is timeless.  It was as valid then as it is now.  Fundamentally, both the methods and the benefits have remained the same throughout time.

Regarding methods, it is getting into a chi kung state of mind and use appropriate form to generate energy.  Regarding benefits, it is employing energy to clear blockage to attain good health, vitality and longevity, to enhance performace in whatever we do, and to break through the illusory physical body to attain spiritual goals.

Even the form is similar.  The chi kung patterns we practice now in our school are similar to those taught by Bodhidharma as recorded in classic texts and pictures.

We don’t mean to be presumptions, but it appears that we are even more cost-effective than the Shaolin monks in the past, though their level of attainment was much higher due to the amount of time they dedicated to the arts.  Our students experience chi flow, internal force and spiritual expansion into the Cosmos in much shorter time than past Shaolin monks as described in classical records.
        "
        - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

(text emphasis added)

Best wishes,
        Markus Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear family and guests,

Here is a very concise answer, and a very enlightening one:

Question 8:

"Sifu, do you think there are lineages other than ours who practice genuine, high-level chi kung of Budhidharma’s teaching today?"
          - Markus Kahila

Answer to Question 8:

"
          Yes, there are but they are rare.

They are also not as generous as we do in giving our teaching, and not as wide spread as our school.  Aspirants would have to spent much more time and effort to find them than to find us.
          "

Best wishes,
          Markus Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Answer to Question 9

Dear family and visitors:

Here is the next Grandmaster's answer no. 9:

Question 9:

"Sifu, there are fantastic stories of past practitioners of Sinew Metamorphosis. Do you think it would be possible or feasible for modern practitioners to attain marvellous feats through diligent Sinew Metamorphosis training."
            - Markus Kahila

Answer to Question 9:

"
            Of course.  Not only it is possible and feasible, it is actually happening in our school – on a routine basis. Those attending the Legacy of Bodhidharma courses in the coming Winter Camp in Norway are expected – not just hoped – to have similar results.

Today many people suffered from so-called incurable diseases, like cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, chronic pain, depression and addiction to alcohol and drugs.  Many of our students have overcome such diseases by practicing chi kung from Bodhidharma’s Legacy.

Breaking a brick with a palm strike is quite a feat; breaking the lower of two bricks without breaking the top one is considered impossible by many people.  But many of our students have done than.  Sinew Metamorphosis is excellent for developing the internal force required for such a seemingly impossible feat.

Many people have read that past masters could spar for hours without feeling tired and without panting for breaths.  They wonder how this could be done, seeing many martial artists today out of breath after 10 minutes of sparring.  It may be incredible but true that most of our students can do this!  This feat can be derived from practicing chi kung of Bodhidharma’s Legacy.

It is fantastic to read about stories of elderly female kungfu masters beating able-bodied young men. How could a small-sized person defeat a much bigger, much stronger opponent?  The answer lies in internal force. The chi kung in Bodhidharma’s Legacy is excellent for developing internal force. Those interested can find a lot of videos on my website showing free sparring where size, age and gender are not important.

Bathed in celestial light, inner light radiating out of the body, seeing God, expanding into the Cosmos, being nowhere and everywhere – these are fantastic experiences of great masters in their spiritual training.  Some people may wonder whether these experiences are real.  We know for certain that these are real, because many of our students have such beautiful, spiritual experiences in our Sinew Metamorphosis courses. Understandingly, many other people may not believe it, but it is true. We are going to have such beautiful, spiritual experiences at the coming Winter Camp.
            "

(Text emphasis added)

Best wishes,
            Markus Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Answer to Question 10

Dear all,

This is the final installment of Grandmaster Wong's "Legacy of Bodhidharma" questions and answers.

If you have more questions, there is actually a vastly better way of receiving answers than asking the master - you can receive the answers in training through direct experience!

There is still room at the 2012 Winter Camp "Legacy" course. It bears reminding that this is a one-off special course not to be missed.

Grandmaster Wong in lotus sitting Zen meditation

Question 10:

Sifu, can I start practicing Zen effectively after attending the Legacy of Bodhidharma courses?
              - Markus Kahila

Answer to Question 10:

"
              Yes, those attending the Legacy of Bodhidharma courses can start practicing Zen effectively after the courses. They will derive wonderful benefits form their practice.

The practice needs not even be formal. It becomes part of their daily life.

The hallmark of Zen is being simple, direct and effective. These qualities will be inculcated at the Legacy of Bodhidharma courses so that almost effortlessly they can apply these qualities in their daily life to enhance their work and play. They will also have a lot of energy and mental clarity."

Attendance to the Winter Camp courses is limited, so we recommend to act fast.

If you wish to participate in the "Legacy of Bodhidharma" -course, you can apply here:

www.shaolinwintercamp.com

Best wishes,
              Markus Kahila
              Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Why is Bodhidharma almost always depicted as a wild-eyed, crazy looking character?
                Because Bodhidharma supposedly fell asleep while meditating one time. He got annoyed and cut off his eyelids.

Comment

~*~

Sifu, When Buddhism and Kung Fu Mingled it was the same in essense as the traveling yogis of India and Himalaya. And living conditions linked the student and teacher to a very close connection so that direct transmission and teaching was guiding the student every step of the way. Today Modern society and life style makes a different challenge for living in such persistent practice. Shaolin temple seems to have changed for tourist interestes, though Wudange Mt appears to also maintian their roots (but I dont really know anything about shaolin or wudang, I just look this up on internet and make my own assumptions... During the cultural revolution many masters fled to Asia and indonesia. Are there still teachers and places, for students to go to in order to find this kind of close training?

Amitofu!
                  Thank YOU

Comment

Dear Spencermk,

Unfortunately, submitting questions for Grandmaster's Q&A on this thread has closed, so there are no more answers forthcoming. I'd recommend sending your question to Sifu on his website www.shaolin.org.

Or better yet, attend Winter Camp and receive the answers in person!

Best wishes,
                    Markus Kahila
                    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear family & visitors,

The "10 questions" Bodhidharma series has ended, but as is typical in our school, there is a bonus.

Below is a clear answer to a clear question that's a good cap for the Q&A part of this thread.

Enjoy!

Question 11:

If you had to summarise the Great Bodhidharma's teachings in a single sentence, what would that sentence be?
                      - Sifu Andrew Bartnett

Answer to Question 11:

"
                      Bodhidharma’s teaching, when practiced correctly, will give you good health, vitality, longevity, mental freshness, combat efficiency and spiritual joys.
                      "

Best wishes,
                      Markus Kahila
                      Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Markus and Family,

I have just sat down with a cup of coffee and gone through the whole thread.

WOW absolutely incredible Thank you Sifu for those wonderful answers and to everybody who posted great questions.

I have just been checking out flights from Ireland to Oslo and fingers crossed I will make it.

The Legacy of Bodhidharma should be honoured by our presence.

Markus, what a wonderful opportunity Sifu and you have given to everybody! Thank you!

Smile from the Heart,
                        Joan
                        Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                        GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                        ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                        THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Why or how?

Dearest Sifu,

Thanks so much for this wonderful opportunity! It is very difficult to put into written from questions, which are answered by you at the mental level, just as they appear. But something that baffles me is; how do we end up being warriors?

I consider my own body/mind the most difficult battlefield and I the most formidable opponent, and to overcome my own weaknesses has been the purpose of my entire life! But, why Sifu? Why or how do I am of a Warrior’s cast? Why do I take so much pride into standing for what I believe is trustful and honorable? Why do I am willing to spare my life for it?

I know that the aim of this thread is to post one question, and I ended up posting four. If you think that I took advantage of this opportunity and/or any of these questions are irrelevant, just ignore them, or choose the one worth answering. I know that during the Course and/or in silence you will answer all of them, as always!

May the blessings of God be with you always.

Humble,
                          Angel
                          [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
                          Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
                          - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Yipee!!!

My Dear Family,

I am on my way to Oslo

Something deeply touched my heart when I read all the questions and answers. It is difficult to convey, almost like the deepest and most profound appreciation and gratitude that can be felt.

Travelling to Oslo feels like a pilgrimage to pay homage to the great Bodhidharma and our wonderful Sifu.

Thank you Markus and to Omar also for making it possible

With deepest respect,

Smile from the Heart,
                            Joan
                            Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                            GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                            ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                            THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear all,

I think Sifu Joan's above post sums it up great. Bodhidharma's legacy is indeed priceless.

The three treasures of Shaolin are intervowen as practitioners know, but most courses are either centered around chi kung or kung fu. To have a whole course that ends up dealing with what is Bodhidharma's legacy, Chan (Zen) is a rare opportunity even for our shcool.

I'm very happy to be hosting the 2012 Winter Camp here in Oslo, anyone attending or thinking about attending are free to ask me any questions they might have.

There are people from as far as Australia attending, so if you live in or near Norway and wish to properly learn and practise Zen, this is a rare opportunity to do so.

Any Norwegians, Swedes or Danes reading the forums should not be shy in contacting me if there is anything I can assist with.

Yes, that also include you 14 or so people living on Iceland
                              When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Answer to Question 12

Happy New Year to everyone!

Here's a little 2012 surprise from Sifu:

"Although we have announced that this question-answer series has been closed, as a bonus for the New Year and in line with our school tradition of answering all questions, I am answering the remaining questions."

So, there will be a few more answers to the "Legacy of Bodhidharma" -series - already handpicked by Sifu!

Enjoy!

Question 12:

Regarding the Arts of Energy and Mind that Bodhidharma transmitted some 1500 years ago, why did it take so long for them to be made available to the general public at the high level taught in Shaolin Wahnam?
                                - Sifu Andrew

Answer to Question 12:

"
                                These arts were elite, taught only to emperors, state ministers, generals and special disciples. Not only the general public had no chance to learn these elite arts, they did not even have the chance to learn mediocre arts of energy and mind.

This is a fact many people in the West may not be aware. Many people in the West mistakenly think that most, if not all, Chinese knew kungfu, chi kung, and Zen. They also mistakenly think that all kungfu, chi kung and Zen were the same; they do not realize that there was a huge difference in both the types of kungfu, chi kung and Zen practiced, as well as the quality of benefits derived.  

The truth was that only very few privileged Chinese had a chance to learn even mediocre kungfu, chi kung and Zen, and of course to learn the highest arts was a very, very rare opportunity. China was a feudal society. Most people were poor farmers or labourers whose time was fully occupied with finding enough to survive.  

The kungfu practiced by a privileged few was mainly physical. Meanwhile the highest arts of energy and mind were taught inside the Shaolin Monastery, not available to the public. Nevertheless, some techniques of these arts of energy and mind were brought out of the Monastery by secular Shaolin masters and taught to very few selected disciples.  

However, over time the essence was lost, only the outward forms remained. This problem was aggravated by the fact that, unlike in Shaolin Wahnam, in traditional Chinese culture, students did not ask questions, and both teachers and students believed in long, dogged training. Concepts like smart learning and improving methodology, which we benefit from in Shaolin Wahnam, were alien in traditional Chinese thinking.
                                "

Best wishes,
                                Last edited by Markus Kahila; 1 January 2012, 03:40 PM.
                                Markus Kahila
                                Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Working...
                                X